7.14.2009

The UPS Man Cometh

     Yesterday, the UPS man delivered a large box to my door. Yippee! Inside were two Lowery Workstands, one for me and one for a customer. If you're not familiar with this floorstand, you're missing out on an elegantly simple tool. I don't know why I waited so long to get one for myself.
     Here it is as assembled out of the box. There are three basic elements of the stand: the base, the post, and the arm.
     The attachments include the daisy dish, which is optional and can be used to hold needles, tacks, tape measure, M&Ms, whatever your small stitching essentials may be, and the clamp, in this case a side clamp. They also make a corner clamp that is useful with stretcher bars and QSnaps, perhaps even large hoops. I like the side clamp because it's good for any type of frame.
     The base of the stand allows for much flexibility in placement. It can slide under a chair and is especially nice if you like to sit in a recliner. I set it up in position by a recliner (not actually where I sit and stitch but good to illustrate).
    The Lowery is simple to transport and can be packed in a suitcase easily when traveling by bus, train, or plane. (I don't recommend putting it in a carry-on to go through security though.) Simply remove the attachments and separate the three basic elements, and you have a fairly flat, compact package.
     I'm so excited about having my own stand at last. I really want to just sit and stitch for a while, but the office beckons me to get back in there and make it functional instead of a file warehouse.
     kthxbai.

4 comments:

  1. Have fun! I love my K's Metal floor stand. Note you might want to put a brick or a heavy book or something else on the metal floor plate if you don't put it under your chair leg. This is optional, of course, but can be useful when your piece of needlework is very large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lowery and K'a are very similar, as I recall, the primary difference being the method of holding attachments in place, right? Thanks for the note about putting a weight on the floor plate. I forgot about that in my excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the two brands look very similar except my tray is wooden with knobs to dangle skeins of thread from to tantalize the cat. The adjustment knobs and levers are different, too, but only in appearance, not in function. Either one is a very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee! Yeah, I just bought myself another tinystand, since I was re-aggrivating my Cross Stitch Shoulder injury from 2001. (Yeah, I actually had to go to the ER - I'd locked my shoulder in place to hold my frame for an entire stitching retreat. Evidently, a shoulder waking up from that kind of abuse presents with symptoms that could also be 'heart attack' - thankfully, it was just Cross Stitch!)

    Glad you got a great stand for yourself!

    ReplyDelete